Sonoma Weather: 48.2°F | Humidity: 92% | Pressure: 30.26in (Steady) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: WNW | Wind Speed: 1.0mph [forecast]

Morning Glory
updated: Sep 28, 2011, 9:11 AM

By Dan Seibert

I saw some morning glory flowers yesterday and had to stop and take a photo. Beautiful flowers, too bad the vine is so invasive.

THE BARRON agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-28 10:14 AM

Wow! I love the vivid color.

2011-09-28 10:40 AM

Love morninglories! They are magnificent and bloom all year. But agree, they completely take over. I had to pull mine out two years ago because they were taking over the neighborhood.. and I am still pulling out vines that simply will not be tamed. Those suckers can grow 6 feet overnight and I'm not even kidding.

2011-09-28 02:23 PM

Really? I love these and am always looking for plants to grow fast. Beautiful photo.

2011-09-28 02:29 PM

047: Oh, be careful what you wish for! It has been many years since I first planted mine (in the wrong place, I will admit), and I am still plucking out seedlings. They are like the kudzu vines in the south: will TOTALLY take over!

2011-09-28 03:08 PM

Morning glory is lovely but there is no way I'd ever plant it. It may seem like a good idea at the moment but I guarantee you'll regret it. I put it in the same category as the Vinca major my neighbor planted. Pretty at first but I can't get rid of the miserable stuff that now invades both yards.

2011-09-28 08:11 PM

the native ones are quite nice

2011-09-29 08:12 AM

So Pretty! :)

2011-09-29 08:54 AM

keep them in pots the way the Japanese do. there are dozens of varieties that have various growing habits. I grew some Japanese varieties from seed and they were drop dead gorgeous. The Japanese even have morning glory markets!

2011-09-29 10:30 AM

I have a 15 ft. archway covered with gorgeous morning glories leading to a garden area. Because we can freeze on winter nights we have to start over each spring. but they are definately control-able, and so worth it. I'll try to send a photo soon.

44% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.