Sonoma Weather: 42.2°F | Humidity: 93% | Pressure: 30.03in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: NNW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

POWDRELL

The Arachnids are Coming!
updated: Sep 07, 2011, 11:51 AM

By David Powdrell

THE ARACHNIDS ARE COMING!! THE ARACHNIDS ARE COMING!!

Forewarned my California friends, 'tis arachnid season. The time of year when we go out for the morning newspapers and find our hair entangled in freshly strung sticky cobwebs.

Imagine the excitement and awe in the eyes of the spider as we desperately spin and fight to untwine ourselves from its sticky snare, hot coffee splashing onto our pajamas as we blindly swipe away. Oh, the very thought of a spider crawling on our bodies is hard to wrestle with.

Two spiders at the bar: "Tony, you should have seen the one that got away this morning. It was THIS big!!".

I have a feeling entire neighborhoods will be going through the ritual of spinning and twirling through cobwebs in the weeks and months to come. Walk cautiously my friends. And please keep your screaming to a minimum.

COMMENT 211973 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-07 12:16 PM

Awesome! I've had webs to the face a bunch of times in the last month (only one with a spider in it - that I knew of, at least), and have have a ton in the house in the last week. Definitely spider season. Still glad to have them around - I just prefer it not inside my home. Glass over them, slide cardboard underneath, and outside they go, to eat another bug!

COMMENT 211974 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-07 12:21 PM

When do the tarantulas migrate? I want to go see them this year.

COMMENT 211987 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-07 12:56 PM

beautiful photos and funny story!

COMMENT 212002 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-07 01:23 PM

Yep, it's the time of year that I walk through my yard in the morning swinging the poop scoop rake through the air knocking down the webs. My neighbors must think it's some kind of strange dog ritual, the blessing of the poop.

COMMENT 212005 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-07 01:30 PM

I've been running into the webs and seeing them everywhere. I keep looking for a web with, "some pig."

COMMENT 212010 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-07 01:44 PM

When I go up to Janeway Ranch (SYV) in October, I usually see quite a few tarantulas moving about.

COMMENT 212045 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-07 03:28 PM

My wife is terrified of spiders!! when ever she sees one i have to get up and kill it...what is the best way to rid our apt of spiders or maybe detour them away from the windows or doors?

2011-09-07 06:08 PM

Great shots. Love the one against the blue sky with the sundog, er, sunspider in it.

2011-09-07 08:30 PM

The tarantulas are already on the move. Had one try to look for the ladies in the house two weeks ago. He showed back up about a week later, and hung around for two days. The Chumash wisdom is that when the tarantulas emerge... rain within 10 days. They've been pretty darn accurate for the years that I've been observing them.

I love the orb weavers. They're so stinkin' cool, and fascinating to watch. Man, what hard and skilled workers they are. Thank you for the pictures and the mental images of us flailing about with the heebee jeebees!

2011-09-07 09:52 PM

123 - interesting: there may be some monsoonal rain this Saturday, said tonight's forecast.

REDSAND agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-08 07:46 AM

045-- I use a feather duster to "transport" them outside. It works well, and they're always an "arm's length" away!

18% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.