Sonoma Weather: 51.2°F | Humidity: 83% | Pressure: 30.24in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: ESE | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Horrible Valentine's Date
updated: Feb 14, 2013, 3:49 PM

I went on a horrible Valentine's date last year and I hope I'm not alone. Last year I met this beautiful girl and our first date ended up being on Valentine's day. The date was going well until the very end. When I dropped her off she said thanks for dinner but I actually have a boyfriend and didn't want to be alone on Valentine's day. It's ruined my view of this "holiday."

Anyone else have a dating horror story to share?

2013-02-14 04:00 PM

You are not alone! I went out with a prominent local attorney *won't name them here* and it was the worst date ever. This person was rude to the wait staff, extremely arrogant and asked me to pick up the check after ordering a very expensive bottle of wine. We never went out again and I warned all my friends.

2013-02-14 04:07 PM

I thought I knew this guy - vendor at my company - asked me to dinner - said he didn't want to be alone on V-Day. So we're at dinner and it's okay but I have this odd feeling.....sure enough we're walking back to our cars and he runs into his WIFE who was out on a date with another unsuspecting human. It was beyond awkward (but not Jerry Springer awkward - we were all annoyingly adult about it). He told me that sometimes relationships are complicated. I told him not to involve innocent bystanders in his dumb suburban drama. He still comes to my company but I just wave now. I am deeply committed to being single and happy.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 04:50 PM

To the OP| - ick! Sounds like you're well rid of her. Better to find out sooner than later.

2013-02-14 05:05 PM

Years ago, my current boyfriend really needed New Year's Eve to be special, but there was nowhere to go that we could afford at the last minute. We ended up going to the drive-in (so that should give you an idea how long ago this was), and the evening's movies were slasher films. He wanted to make-out and more anyway, to blood and gore. I have seldom spent a less romantic or special night. We're still friends anyway, 40 years later, but we're both married to other people. Forcing a night to be "special" often results in it being special in an unintended way -- spectacular failure.

2013-02-14 05:21 PM

She saw you coming pal. Why didn't you pick up the signals she most assuredly gave you that a) you aren't the guy b) she's playing you and c) she thought your date sucked and made up a story about a boyfriend so you wouldn't call her anymore.

Don't be a victim and refuse to participate anymore. Instead, learn to observe reality, and to act accordingly to what reality is. How do you determine reality? By what someone does, not necessarily what they say.

And why was your first date on Valentines day? Are you trying to put the pressure on? You should have been at the coffee shop for a first date, or the beach or a cafe for no more than an hour. Not at a romantic Valentines Day set-up fest - dinner, movie, sex - YAWN!. How original. If this is your formula you can look forward to more rejections.

Signed-

The Love Doctor

2013-02-14 05:29 PM

Many breakups occur on Valentine's Day. It makes women crazy and should be banned.

2013-02-14 05:41 PM

Valentines Day is a commercial holiday. If you can't say or do the same things the other 364 days of the year, why should one special day be so special?

2013-02-14 06:40 PM

555 - haha typical "man" response, an excuse to not buy their wife flowers.

2013-02-14 07:32 PM

Back in the early 70s I began dating a new gal in January. We went to a fancy dinner on Valentine's Day in pouring rain and she ordered brussel sprouts.

Those can be VERY gassy!!!

On the way home (and unable to open the windows in the teeming rain) we were silent and VERY embarrassed.

She never went out with me again...

2013-02-14 07:35 PM

hahaha 584 you should have smoked a cig or something.. or just said hey baby you caused this now you have to live with it.. lol

2013-02-14 07:59 PM

About twenty years ago I gave my date a dozen long-stemmed roses upon arrival for our Valentine's evening out. We had a couple glasses of wine at the Plow & Angel and then upstairs for dinner, dessert, coffee, and an aperitif. The bill was around $250, which was a lot of money for me at the time. It was before 9PM and I suggested that we head to Soho to hear some tunes and she says....."I have to be honest with you, I have a boyfriend and I need to get back home." I dropped her off at her place, headed to SoHo by my lonesome, and ended up meeting my future (and current) wife. Years later I saw my "Valentine" at Harry's sitting on a stool by herself drinking shots of gin - she looked as sad as anyone could look with her swollen face, droopy/watery eyes, and permanent frown. Like my mother used to say: "Thank God for unanswered prayers."

2013-02-14 08:17 PM

Don't be discouraged, my son. All men have been bitten by this same spider.

First the anesthetic, her killer outfit, perfume and so on, followed by being eaten alive and regurgitated. The effects are immediate, acute and painful, but rarely fatal and most of the time short-lived. The hardest part is being paralyzed and unable to protect yourself while it all goes down.

It builds up an immunity so in the future this same bite won't be nearly as bad as the first time. Soon, you'll be able to recognize this spider and avoid it. Such is the nature of life, my son.

2013-02-15 06:52 AM

Valentine's Day is a capitalist / consumerist holiday. It's meant to make single people feel bad about themselves and it's another incentive to buy things and spend money.

2013-02-15 07:32 AM

622, it's about business, not to make people feel bad. Geeze, if there is a cynical Edhat award, we have a winner.
Besides, the only person who can make you feel bad is you. That's how the brain works...Buddha, Byron Katie, Eckhardt Tolle.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 07:39 AM

Why the cranky comments about Valentines Day? We have Mothers Day, Fathers Day, birthdays, etc. Nothing wrong with picking a special day for love. If you think it's commerical, don't buy things; make a card, walk on the beach and draw a heart in the sand; lots of free ways to celebrate.

2013-02-15 07:47 AM

If valentines day is a commercial holiday, the. What about Christmas? Or any other holiday for that matter! Are you going to tell me that the retail monster only uses v day to take your money?
Valentines day was preceded by various fertility festivals... So dont go about saying that it is made up and less valid to celebrate. And I am sure crappy dates are not exusive to this holiday.

2013-02-15 08:08 AM

All I'm willing to reveal is the lesson I learned: never make dates on Craigslist. :shudders:

2013-02-15 08:16 AM

I think the Love Doctor works for my HMO.

2013-02-15 08:35 AM

Worst date: College students can get so exhausted. One "parking" place students went to was the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. I was very tired and fell asleep on my date. When I woke up, the guy let me know, in a gentle way, that I had been passing gas the whole time I'd been sleeping. He had managed to open his car window for some fresh air without waking me. But that was that for us!

2013-02-15 08:38 AM

Went out with a guy I had met on Yahoo!

Was given a teddy bear and a copy of a Christian book called "Captivating", which is nothing more than propaganda for how to be the perfect submissive woman.

Upon further inspection I notice that the bear is either from a thrift store or garage sale because it is definitely not new.

Takes me to... Olive Garden, wearing a teal windbreaker circa 1990 and a t-shirt with "JESUS" in big gold letters. We enjoy dinner next to some single mothers and their screaming children.

Date takes out debit card and I get a peak at it before he hands it to the server. My date's last name isn't really what he told me it was, turns it out it was...

Boner.

True story.

2013-02-15 09:01 AM

647 for the win!! I needed that laugh!!

2013-02-15 09:23 AM

I was driven from my sunny beach location to Lompoc, dismally cold & overcast, where my date wanted to surf while I shivered on the sand. I was not allowed to bring my book because he wanted me to watch him surf. HOURS later after getting back to his truck I was told we were going to "have to" spend the night there in it ? ! (I had never even kissed him). I reminded him that I had to work the next day & when he wouldn't let me out of the truck I jumped out the next time he had to stop and hitch hiked back home :(

2013-02-15 09:35 AM

638: HAHAH HA ! Awesome.

2013-02-15 10:29 AM

Wow some crazy stories.

29% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.