Sonoma Weather: 78.8°F | Humidity: 43% | Pressure: 29.88in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 6.0mph [forecast]

Lesser Goldfinches
updated: Jan 22, 2013, 5:31 PM

By RdH

I observed these delightful Lesser Goldfinches in a feeding frenzy on a weed I thought was rather noxious and useless--but they seemed to find the seeds delectable despite the cotton that stuck to their beaks.

2013-01-22 05:39 PM

Nice pics, thanx 4 sharing! We do live in Eden.

2013-01-22 06:12 PM

Wow nice shot! Is it just me or has anyone else notice the increase in finches and other songbirds. Actually I've noticed a lot of raptors too.

DDPHOTOGRAPHY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:09 PM

Great shots of the Goldfinches. I love taking photographs of birds...and they can be challenging.

2013-01-22 07:40 PM

Hey you got something stuck to your beak!

SCEPTIC agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:56 PM

That stuff looks like it would make a very cushy nest. 359: I've seen kingbirds this winter for the first time on the mesa - small, very pretty raptors.

2013-01-22 08:56 PM

These are great! Love the pose or gesture you caught it in.... tells a fun story.

2013-01-22 09:51 PM

Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing.

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 10:16 PM

Awesome captures RDH!

EMUWREN1 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 12:50 AM

Species of sow thistle weed. I yank that stuff out of my garden. (Please don't use pesticides, as such use harms birds.)

If anyone wants to attract Goldfinches to his/her yard: plant Cosmos. Then be sure and let the Cosmos go to seed. Goldfinches will flock to your yard. (It may take a year or two of growing Cosmos, just so you know.)

Thank you for sharing such phenomenal pics.

2013-01-23 07:01 AM

great pictures

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 07:31 AM

Every plant has its uses. Sow Thistle fluff is collected by hummingbirds in my garden, for nests. I let several get big on purpose. They're easy to pull or lever out with a long handled spade ('lady's shovel') that I keep for working among my perennials. They are also subsoil pumpers, bringing up minerals from deep in subsoils. I cut off the bloom heads and lay the rest on the ground to decay.

Your shots of the GF's brings to mind the recent fabulous weekend in Morro Bay at the Winter Bird Festival. Did any Edhatters go? Great trips, classes and vendor fair. Over 200 species sighted over all. My personal thrill was back-to-back sightings of Mountain Bluebirds and a Vermillion Flycatcher in the SYV, both visible from county roads.

2013-01-23 09:16 AM

Cool pix and info. Thanks all!

2013-01-23 10:31 AM

Sceptic, Just to let you know, Kingbirds are tyrant flycatchers and raptors are owls, hawks, falcons and eagles.

2013-01-23 02:21 PM

What a little sweetheart! I hope the meal was super delish!

SCEPTIC agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 04:05 PM

555: I'll take your word for it. The first one I saw was on the ground with a broken wing, and I was told that it was a kingbird and that kingbirds were raptors when I took it to Wildlife Rescue on Fairview. I like birds, but I'm pretty ignorant about them. Thanks

47% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.