Sonoma Weather: 66.8°F | Humidity: 68% | Pressure: 30.08in ( Falling) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 2.0mph [forecast]

Deliciously Crunchy
updated: Jan 09, 2013, 11:25 AM

By Max Rosenberg

Fine dining at Typhoon Restaurant at Santa Monica Airport……yes, they were good.

Marina Del Rey and Loyola Marymount

2013-01-09 11:39 AM

I really wish I had not looked at that so close to lunch time.

2013-01-09 11:48 AM

Possibly very good, but no way would I eat that.

2013-01-09 11:51 AM

Is there anywhere in SB (or Goleta) where we can enjoy some insects? I'd love to try them but not sure if I can convince my family to drive all the way to SM to eat bugs!

2013-01-09 12:27 PM

You are a brave and adventurous man. I have always passed on that menu choice.

2013-01-09 01:15 PM

Yuk!

Give me a Five Guy's burger & their killer fries.

MTNDRIVER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-09 01:38 PM

Yikes! Isn't it funny how we make distinctions between different kinds of animals? Fine to eat something big with red blood and muscles like ours, but something with a hard shell and goop inside, yikes! I don't think I could do it, but it's just a kind of prejudice, really.

2013-01-09 01:47 PM

I was in Thailand last summer and saw all kinds of crazy bug snacks for sale. Also when I was in China years ago I learned that a "garden" salad meant it had all sorts of stuff found in the garden such as bugs, snails, rabbit, etc....

2013-01-09 01:50 PM

Isn't this the resturant that was caught serving Shark Fin soup not too long ago? Or maybe it was Whale Meat?

2013-01-09 01:56 PM

There are lots of processed foods that contain bugs and most people don't even know it. Ketchup and peanut butter usually have more than most. If you eat crustaceans (crab, shrimp, lobster, etc.) it's pretty much the same thing. They are the bugs of the sea.

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-09 01:58 PM

Oh, Hell no!!!!

MACPUZL agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-09 02:04 PM

I would prefer the crickets to the chile/chili.

2013-01-09 02:16 PM

I would hardly compare bugs to shrimp, crab or lobster! If you bite into any of these there won't be a yellowish pus explosion in your mouth!

2013-01-09 02:17 PM

Noticed the asterisk after the cricket menu item - wonder what the footnote said?

2013-01-09 03:14 PM

I'm not a huge bug fan, but that kind of makes me sad.

That said, bugs are supposed to be a great source of lean protein and they're much more numerous in source than farmed meat and it seems less cruel.

730, once cooked, all the pus, blood and guts is pretty much the same. And don't get me started on shrimp poop issues.

It's all the same thing, you eat a living thing, you deal with the same innards more or less.

When I traveled to Africa, they ate fried tarantula by the campfire. I've never quite gotten over the fact that the things on the sticks that looked like tarantulas really WERE tarantulas.

And now...I'm going to eat some spinach.

COMMENT 361935 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-09 09:26 PM

The whale meat place is upstairs from this place.

COMMENT 361973 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-10 07:16 AM

We had silkworm pupua in Hanoi last year- wok fried with scallions and a sesame soy sauce- really tasted quite good, kinda like cooked dry beans, but creamier- I'll have to try the crickets. Were they any good?

COMMENT 362016 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-10 08:20 AM

One time I accidentally ate some ants that got into my chip bag. They weren't too bad a bit peppery though... Anyways that's all the bug eating experience I got

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-10 08:31 AM

I rather eat bugs than have a hamburger with the latest addition, "pink slime" that has amonia and who knows what else in it. The only hamburger we ever eat anymore is organic beef from Rancho San Julian. Absolutely fabulous!

MADMAX agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-10 09:11 AM

They actually tasted very good. I just closed my eyes and chewed em up and actually they were very good.

OLDLAWOMAN agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-10 09:16 AM

This is what I serve to my bearded dragon.

COMMENT 362094 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-10 10:31 AM

Fried tarantulas have a similar texture inside to shrimp or crab meat. When I was in Laos in '06 I ate fried giant wasp larvae that we dipped in a spicy flavorful sauce and they were quite good. And huge! A couple bites in fact- the largest wasps in the world... In China I had fried silkworm pupae and they were creamy and tasty fried with chilies and ginger. And in Thailand I ate mealworms fried and popped kind of like popcorn. I've had chilé limòn fried crickets courtesy of a few of my old classmates who brought them back from Mexico for our class to try in 4th grade. And of course the novelty of chocolate covered ants... I don't see what the big deal is about people eating bugs- its way more efficient of a protein source than factory farmed mammals... Good texture and flavor, and numerous, free range, and good for you!

2013-01-10 11:15 AM

@361730

There's no pus explosion eating fried crickets, either. OTOH, cow's milk is full of it.

2013-01-11 03:41 PM

I ate em with Max. They tasted excellent. Crunchy and light. Yes if you look online there's all sorts of great reasons to eat them nutritionally and environmentally (not that I plan to start cooking them up at home and of course assuming food grade.)
Oh and if that isn't sufficient, then google Angelina Jolie eat crickets for the wacky celeb angle...

And search cricket restaurant and you'll see other similar fare in cities like SFO and NYC. Perhaps we need a "BUG Bus" here in SB. I guarantee if this entree cost $5 and tasted this good, folks would buy it for sure. It was served w an Asian style chili sauce and had yummy bits of lightly grilled garlic.

"OldLAlady" and Bullseye- you cracked me up!

39% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.