Sonoma Weather: 50.6°F | Humidity: 89% | Pressure: 29.77in (Steady) | Conditions: Rain | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Tell them you found them on Edhat!
www.edhat.com/referrals

APP Development Question
updated: Jan 06, 2013, 10:20 AM

I have an idea for a phone app that I'd like to explore bringing to market. I'm not a programmer, so I can't write it. I'm also not sure what channels to use to market it once it's written. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a local person or organization with whom I can consult on the development...without getting my idea stolen. Any suggestions?

BECKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-06 10:54 AM

I'm a former IT pro. Most of the gifted programmers I know are also very honest and very responsible. The problem is often (usually?) that the person who wants a program written vastly underestimates how hard it is to write well (no bugs, compatible, to standards...) If I were in your shoes, I'd go to a few of the good local computer consultants (Latitude 34 -- www.L34Tech.com is one suggestion) and pay for a half hour of consulting time to describe your idea, get their input, and get references to local programmers who might be interested in helping you, if they aren't interested themselves. Also, the people who write code are very seldom the people who know anything about sales and marketing. They are not usually compatible skill sets. Producing good engineering is very different from selling it.

2013-01-06 11:15 AM

BECKY.... good points. Any new product development requires 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. I wonder if the OP does realize how much s/he is going to rely on the hard work of others to produce and market this idea and what compensation is going to be offered for that work.

2013-01-06 12:03 PM

I have a friend who like me, is in the tech industry but is not a programmer. After taking one of SBCC's Android classes, he was able to use the Android SDK to create his own app and sell it on Google Play. As a hardware designer, I was amazed at how much the SDK can do for you with a minimal knowledge of Java.

If this going to be a phone app, you'll likely get more revenue off the iOS platform than on Android.

Agreed on the points about sweat equity.

2013-01-06 12:21 PM

MIT now maintains the google app inventor program. Anyone can make an app with that. Before wasting your time, you should research how few app developers actually make any money doing this, and see how many variations of your app are already on the market.

2013-01-06 01:58 PM

Although I'm not an app writer, I do have a few ex-students who have successfully taken ideas to app.

It's not easy by any stretch, but they all did so for the iPhone OS and had amazing payoffs when it was all over.

Go for it!

Do share what you finally do.

2013-01-07 10:59 AM

There's a company in town called Crowbar Studios that develops phone apps and does a great job at a reasonable price.