Sonoma Weather: 81.1°F | Humidity: 51% | Pressure: 30.14in (Steady) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: SSW | Wind Speed: 7.0mph [forecast]

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Dec 29, 2012, 3:00 PM

Do you send thank you notes to family and friends? Does it matter what method one uses to send?

External Link

2012-12-30 05:58 AM

I LOVE making cards, so yes, I send "Thank You" cards, as well any kind of card....my momma brung me up rite.

What gets to me is the "no thank you" non-cards I don't receive....so rude !

ARCHIE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-30 08:45 AM

To me, a thank you note responds in kind to someone who went out of their way, stopped their everyday life, to pay attention to you. Sending the very least of acknowledgments, a slight nod by email, is ungracious, a response not in kind.

2012-12-30 09:31 AM

Writing paper is Stationery, a statue is Stationary.

2012-12-30 11:02 AM

ah but this is poetry 446, perhaps this misapplication was intended by the "artist"

2012-12-30 11:20 AM

Just a thought - it simply does not occur to me to have a preconception of how someone should respond to what it gives me pleasure to do. If I have mailed or sent a substantial item, I do appreciate knowing it was received, and when people make acknowledgement of any kind I am warmly impressed. I try to always acknowledge gifts appropriately, but the manner of acknowledgment seems to me to be proportional to the gift or gesture. When, for example, people insist on paying for a meal, I always say, "I'll get you next time!" and then make a real point to do so. I guess I am saying I think it is gracious to put the expectations on oneself, rather than others.

Glad this is anonymous!

2012-12-30 11:36 AM

I thank in person when possible, and e-mail later if I remember to, but my elderly mother-in-law gets a hand-written thank-you. In general nobody thanks for presents, in our kids' families - the next generation - which I think is poor training for the younger generations. An e-mail would be fine.

50% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.