Sonoma Weather: 63.9°F | Humidity: 79% | Pressure: 30.07in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 2.0mph [forecast]

POWDRELL

Remembering Peter Sklar
updated: Dec 15, 2012, 10:00 AM

By David Powdrell

To me, Peter Sklar was like the wind. Somewhat elusive. I think he liked keeping a low profile. I remember winning a t-shirt in the early years of Edhat during one of the "Where is it?" contests. Peter drove out to my office and personally delivered my winning Edhat t-shirt. My immediate reply when he walked into my office was "Wow! How cool! Are you Ed Hat?"

"No, I'm just a guy delivering a t-shirt. Congratulations. And thanks for supporting Edhat." And off he went, like the wind. I didn't learn that he was the brains behind Edhat until a year or so later.

I was with him only a handful of times, at running races, at Lynn's store, at the Brewhouse and on State Street for the annual dog parade. I loved his infectious smile. He beamed every time I saw him. He was fun to be around. He always had good things to say about people and our community. I liked that about him.

Peter's vision of bringing a small community together via Edhat was revolutionary at the time. I was hooked the first time I logged on. Of particular interest to me was that I could take an amateur sunset photo, and the next morning, voila, there'd it be for anyone interested to look at. Because of Peter, I started spending more time looking for the unusual, sometimes quirky side of Santa Barbara. Quonset Huts, bottle caps, pelicans riding the wind of a wave. Although still a rank amateur, Peter made me a better photographer and a better writer.

I have only one photo image of Peter….he was doing what he really liked…photographing dogs at the annual dog parade. Basset hound Pretty Boy Floyd was there, scruffy old Otis was there and the Belle of the Ball wore pink. It was quirky and it was fun, right up Peter's alley. Peter was, again, the brains behind it all.

One of the ways that we can all pay tribute to the man includes supporting Edhat. For about the price of a Starbucks coffee every month ($4.33), you can subscribe to Edhat. I know Peter hated asking for financial support for the website, but the reality is that it costs money to do all the things that the programmers and software do. Please consider supporting the site so that it stays around as his legacy. It is, after all, among the best links to what's happening in our beautiful community.

I will miss you, Peter. We will all miss you. Thank you for your vision and your passion. You changed the world in a beautiful way.

Back to Main Story

HATTIE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-14 05:21 PM

david, thanks for this lovely remembrance--great description of peter.

2012-12-15 10:07 AM

It's because of the Big Dog Parade that I discovered Edhat, so it is fitting that you have a photo of him photographing the dogs. Thanks for the memories.

2012-12-15 10:09 AM

Thanks for that lovely tribute, David.

I second his suggestion to support the site. Please, even though the trolls can be unpleasant at time, consider that supporting Edhat gives us, most of the people, a genuine community room to hang out in. The money is so little when you think about it: the equivalent of one gallon of gas per month, less than a single lunch, a tiny percentage of your cable or Internet bill, about the cost of a gallon of milk. It's really very little in return for so much.

And continuing this site with more subscribers--people who care enough about the community and Edhat to want to preserve it--are needed.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-15 10:15 AM

I'll always love that guy and I don't care how weird that may sound he helped me gain something I lost. As I was reading your tribute I was eating oatmeal and accidently slipped a big tab of butter in my mouth. Thank You..

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-15 10:18 AM

I first discovered the EdHat site during the International Film Festival a bunch of years back. I've stayed with the site, and enjoy all the great perks after becoming a paid subscriber. Over the years, I'm very proud to say, that I've written about a dozen articles, with pictures of course!!

My first article was about the pre-opening of Mel's Lounge on W. Carrillo, which almost had the most "hits" for that week!! Printed the article w/pictures for Mike, the owner, and he was thrilled about all the positive comments.

Thank YOU Peter Sklar for being the genious behind the site.

2012-12-15 10:36 AM

Very nice tribute, thank you. Didn't know Peter except through Edhat and the tribute made me wistful. We've lost the Big Dog Parade and Peter, and am grateful that Edhat lives on.

STACE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-15 10:46 AM

Thank you David for the heartfelt tribute to our man, Peter. He was a truly a genius and prince among men.

I love your suggestion that unpaid readers and posters join as paid subscribers. Even though they might not agree 100% with the policies of Edhat, it's a small price to pay to become one of the Edhat family and support a great website in the process.

Mama, you'll be getting a subscription for Christmas this year, so start thinking of a sassy handle.

PATRICK agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-15 10:49 AM

Peter's passing finally prompted me to renew my membership, after a year or so of slacking.

2012-12-15 12:25 PM

Thanks for reminding us of what edhat is really about. I wish some of the users today had the same "And thanks for supporting Edhat" attitude that Peter had about his earliest users, rather than the "pay up" entitled attitude that the minority of paid subscribers seem to have. A community is made of all types of people and contributions can come in more ways that just cash...helpful to remember at this most superficial time of year.

2012-12-15 01:11 PM

Thank you, David, for a heartfelt tribute. I couldn't pay for awhile due to circumstances, but I just "paid up." You're right, it's a nice way to tip our hats to this fine man, who quietly contributed so much to our community.

EZ2 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-15 03:52 PM

I really want to thank all of you who are supporting edhat..Peter was and still is a magical person who did thing his way with a BIG smile..I gave out edhat t shirts to the winners of WWII at my salon (highlights hair salon) I saw Peter up until about a year and a half ago..
He will be missed
My wife and I are in the picture you took of Peter who was taking a picture of us and our dogs
Eric Zahm
Stacey Geldin

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-15 06:25 PM

What a nice tribute and great picture . Thank you.

2012-12-15 07:31 PM

I do believe that with all of the wonderful energy I have seen on edhat, a group of focused and willing dog lovers could round up the people and funds to have another dog parade. We should call it the parade for dogs and friends of edhat and have it at a park.

2012-12-16 01:46 AM

Thank you, David, for a well-written and informative tribute.

TMO agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-16 10:46 AM

Thanks Dave, for that. He left a positive mark on our little town.

2012-12-16 01:24 PM

Love what you wrote. I think about Peter every day. About how he was, and elusive is one of the right words. And his smile, so bright. Its funny, when I wear my edhat shirt walking on the beach, I get many smiles from strangers, and then I remember I'm wearing the shirt. Edhat is a smiling community. Thank you!

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-16 02:07 PM

Thanks David for a great tribute to Peter and the legacy he leaves...I would also like to ask those reading, please support this community treasure by becoming a member today, and those who are already members, remember edhat in your holiday donations...give a little extra to keep this going well into the future...

2012-12-16 02:48 PM

I renew my Edhat subscription as soon as I get the email every six months; it is so worth it! I've been thinking a lot about Peter and even though we were only casual, friends I miss him. Edhat IS a treasure, please support it.

78% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.