Sonoma Weather: 54.8°F | Humidity: 78% | Pressure: 30.21in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: ESE | Wind Speed: 1.0mph [forecast]

Neighborhood Love
updated: Dec 06, 2012, 12:00 PM

Keeping with the positive holiday spirit, tell us what you like most about the neighborhood you're living in.

2012-12-06 12:08 PM

Year-round: our beautiful trees.

During the holidays: Nearly everyone has outside Christmas lights. I love driving home at night.

2012-12-06 12:26 PM

I've lived on the Westside my entire life. We never have to lock the doors because our 'hood (AKA: "Felony Flats") is made up of lots of burglars, muggers and buggerers, and they'd never dream of committing their felonious mopery amongst their neighbors, choosing instead to take their business to other, more well-heeled parts of town, such as San Roque and the Upper Eastside. Dog bless our Happy Hood!

2012-12-06 12:46 PM

Cottage area---super quiet after 8:30 p.m.; view of the stars is amazing b/c SB has very little light pollution-- hope it stays that way. I can see the mountains from my window--you can't beat that.

2012-12-06 12:48 PM

What makes my neigborhood special is that we all have been here 50 years. I also love it because we are right accross from Lake Los Canaros & Stow house and the train depot. We all watch out for one another and help each other when needed! Couldn't ask for any better family.

2012-12-06 12:50 PM

Not too many lookieloos so folks can walk their dogs or their nanas in the middle of the street without fear of being rammed into the bushes.

2012-12-06 12:51 PM

The beautiful Liquid Amber trees! They are the one thing for me that indicate the change of seasons.

2012-12-06 12:55 PM

Walkable to shops and services, deep set-backs, street trees, one to two-story individually designed, well-maintained houses and apartments. Every neighborhood can be like this in town if you don't let city planning "experts" destroy Santa Barbara's low-key quality of life.

2012-12-06 01:06 PM

I live on Ellwood Loop - it's pretty janky but you can hear the seals barking in the early mornings. It's fairly quiet and safe. I have a nice view from my apartment. Not home much but when I am, I'm happy there.

2012-12-06 01:14 PM

I like my neighborhood because none of the neighbors care what color you are. They're all just neighbors.

2012-12-06 01:27 PM

Ellwood:

Great Dog Walks
Convenient Shopping
Homeless poop everywhere ( my dog has a nose for this : \ )
Home to the Highest Priced Gas in Town. (Chevron @ holister and storke seemingly has a competition going with Mobile on Glen Anne and Calle Real - who can shaft travellers the most?! )
A Great Farmer's Market right here
and if you want to attend a frat party, IV is within stumbling distance!

2012-12-06 01:27 PM

Wonderful neighbors who are there for you when you need them. Block parties. Children lining up at the top of the street in the morning to walk to school together. Street lamp posts decorated for the holiday. Halloween craziness. I love my 'hood.

2012-12-06 01:27 PM

Coyote on my lower property yesterday, just trotting over to the creek. Mountain views. Mission bells.

2012-12-06 01:28 PM

First, the safety. I feel completely safe here.

Two, the quiet. It is the quietest place I have ever lived.

Three, the gorgeous view of the mountains. I love winter because the clouds and colors vary so much.

2012-12-06 01:31 PM

Ok. Back to the subject. Our neighborhood is nice for its privacy and relative seclusion in an urban setting. Big (mostly) empty hill behind us, lots of shrubbery camouflaging nearby houses. Friendly, helpful, but unintrusive neighbors. Dogs sometimes run free, but they always seem well behaved. Dark at night allowing for incredible star gazing. Between 101 and cathedral oaks in Noleta.

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 01:34 PM

I live on the Westside near Micheltorena, and i am entertained by all the different types of crime that happens in the area. Gives me plenty of crazy stories & pictures to submit to EdHat.

2012-12-06 01:49 PM

The peace and quiet. I live in one of the many no name developments on a no name streat this area is famous for.

2012-12-06 02:05 PM

Wow, the question has been up for two hours, there are six deleted comments and now it's only open to Ed Community Members.

I live in the lowest of the lower West side. Like D8vanilla I like the cast of characters. Plus I'm very close to the beach, State Street, SBCC and access to the 101.

2012-12-06 02:26 PM

I like the fact that I can walk my dog at night, in the dark during PST, and I feel safe. Being older and female, that is a big deal to me. Plus our neighborhood gets very quiet at night and I love waking up at 3 am and not hearing a sound. FYI ... I live on the upper east side about 6 blocks from the Mission. Contrary to people's opinions, there is a real mix of large beautiful homes and rentals (duplexes and apts. built behind homes). I like the contrast. Most of us in the area know each other by sight and always say hello. It feels like a neighborhood.

2012-12-06 02:34 PM

Upper East/not quite lower Riviera, with ocean views, and within 15 minutes fast walk of MTD Transit Center. Loads of birds and butterflies. So quiet at night, I can walk miles at midnight/1am and only me and my dog.
Fantastic night sky, Barn owls, skunks, raccoons, opossums. It's great that most people are inside after 8 or 9pm. My jughead neighbors (only annoyingly loud ones for blocks and blocks) are finally shut down after 8pm, and their brats asleep and all is at peace.
Entire rest of neighborhood is quiet and friendly and good people Lots of happy dog walkers, all day long. Love the oaks, eucs, high hedges, night-bloomiing plants.

2012-12-06 02:54 PM

Way out on the western edge of Goleta, we live in a real neighborhood, with neighbors that know and care about and look out for each other. It's relatively uncrowded with open fields still around (for now). Beach access is easy and gorgeous. The views of the mountains are beautiful. It's safe and quiet. Long live suburbia! (even if most planners don't like it)

2012-12-06 04:36 PM

I live out in Goleta in the Ellwood area.

Pluses:
Safe
Walk to beach and bluffs
Butterflies
Good place to walk a dog
Most neighbors are polite
Walk to Anna's and Farmers Market on Sunday
Nearby shopping

Minuses:
You did not ask for negatives, so not gonna list the few I have

MTNDRIVER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 04:43 PM

Trees wherever I look, coyotes and deer and all kinds of birds, and neighbors who are friends and truly neighborly. And still only five minutes to downtown.

LOUWHO? agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 04:47 PM

Beaches and sunsets!!!

2012-12-06 04:53 PM

Samarkand, the weather, the underground utilities and the well built homes. The location is close to everything. You can walk to Earl Warren, Oak Park, Fiesta El Mercado, restaurants even a bar if you want. There is a a wonderful view of the mountains. When we first moved into the neighborhood we called it Ozzie & Harriet Ville as neighbors showed up with groceries from their yards and always wave and take the time to talk to each other. The weather is always great here.

2012-12-06 06:56 PM

How well Edhat readers describe their neighborhood; interesting to read these postings. Our neighborhood near Olive and East Islay St. is peaceful - that's what I appreciate. There are few, if any, curmudgeons. It's a wondrous walk to the Mission where the rose garden/mountain vistas comfort the eyes. It's a short walk downtown. More than ever, I give thanks for living here.

2012-12-06 09:14 PM

My neighborhood used to be lil old ladies that had survived their husbands. The gal across the street had a wooden baby Jesus that was 200 years old passed through her family. The Greek gal next door used to blast her opera music. Now it's yuppies who don't wave back, or even look up when you drive by. Perhaps if the rents weren't so high, they'd have time to be friendly.

2012-12-06 09:48 PM

Yes, we live in a nice enough neighborhood, but rarely do neighbors on this street socialize. At least we know a few names of the neighbors - oh except for the two vacation rentals on this block.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 07:39 AM

Great neighborhood in Carpinteria, by the beach. Carp is just a groovy town, any neighborhood is a good one to live in.

2012-12-07 07:40 AM

Mesa
Quiet.
No power lines.
Close to everything.

2012-12-07 08:11 AM

Funk Zone- Love the fact that culture and life is starting to fill these streets. love the art love the wine, metropolus deli, murals. 3 great art shows tonight! FZ in SB nowhere else id rather live!

ARCHIE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 08:19 AM

Mesamesamesa. How the ocean is part of my personal environment. How the mountains are part of my personal environment. How the buildings are not homogeneous in style, time, or size. Open places, flat places, hilly places. the self-sufficiency of having our mesa stores. And last but not least, the people- name eveything good and they're walking around here.

2012-12-07 09:04 AM

We're on the Eastside: Soledad St. area, anchored by the Eastside Branch Library and Community Center. Fabulously interesting walking neighborhood, very friendly neighbors you can always ask for help, hard-working, the kids still play in the street after school like everybody's kids used to do many years ago. Mariachi bands at the restaurants on weekends, men put on beautiful white hats on Sunday. Super-Rica Taqueria. Those tough-looking groups of young guys? -- respectful and sweet. Last but not least, you can find all the brand new hardbacks still available at Eastside Library, long after they've been snapped up and put in a holding queue at the main library

2012-12-07 09:57 AM

Mesa: We can walk to anything; beach, grocery stores, dog parks, restaurants, doctor/dentist office, work - love it!

DRBUD agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 02:44 PM

We have lived in El Escorial for almost 16 years and are sooo happy. Almost always have the large pool and jacuzzi to myself. Then there are the tennis courts, fitness center, bar-b-q area, social center for parties, car wash area, guard gate and plenty of parking. We are just steps from East Beach with it's views and beach volley ball.
It don't get no better than this!!

RAINE5360 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:34 PM

North Patterson area. No traffic yet errands are convenient (Calle Real/Turnpike/Fairview). And it's quiet on a wide street with mature trees. Older tract home with a bit more property than what is built now. Many neighbors have been around forever but younger people moving in. Everyone is kind and considerate. Some participate in Halloween/Christmas, some don't. It's all cool.

FIRST DISTRICT agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:01 PM

My children have been fifth-generation residents of Montecito.

We feel blessed to live in the County of Santa Barbara.

Just walk outside your home/residence on a day when there's a perfect sunset. Take a look at the Santa Ynez Mountains and the Pacific Ocean.

It's the basic blessings which count and we have them in spades.

I visited Ohio a few months ago. A friendly sales lady at the Macy's in Cincinnati was adorable when she heard where we lived. . . She really wasn't kidding when she asked if we could fit her into our luggage.

An embarrassment of riches!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:23 PM

The only thing I like about living here anymore is I have a roof over my head. Since complaing about the neighbor my life here has become uncomfortable and I'm angry alot of the time. Starting in January I'm saving toward another place. I can hardly breathe around here also in the Winter time there is something up with that? I've been sober without alcohol almost 10 years now and I'm more comfortable with a quiet life. Unfortune I'm section 8 and not many people want to rent to us section 8ers and in that respect I might have to move out of town.

LILAC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:28 PM

I live in Noleta and my neighbors are easily the best about the neighborhood. A number of them have become close friends through the years, but even the ones I don't know say hello and smile when we meet. Other pluses are parks and open spaces and off-leash dog-parks in walking distance, lighted streets, equal distance to Goleta and Santa Barbara. I like the wildlife, yes, even skunks, trees that produce ( I never buy a lemon or an avocado) and it's quiet. What more could one want?

63% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 8 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.