Sonoma Weather: 76.1°F | Humidity: 58% | Pressure: 29.83in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: ENE | Wind Speed: 1.0mph [forecast]

DOG OF THE WEEK

Meet Fiona
updated: Dec 01, 2012, 9:00 AM

Fiona is a lucky four year old rescue dog from Hesperia. My husband and I drove all the way to Glendale to adopt her based only on a photo. Because her coat was so matted when she was turned in at the pound, she was given a tight buzz cut. She was then labeled a poodle-terrier mix, put up for adoption on PetFinders.com and pawned off to one (me) desirous of a standard poodle. But I was gullible, as I was captivated by her eyes.

Then her coat began to grow and grow and grow. She now most closely resembles a bearded collie and I am convinced she is. Her plaintive eyes remain the window to her soul. We are very lucky as she is a very satisfactory companion.

2012-12-01 09:14 AM

How lucky that you picked each other!

2012-12-01 09:27 AM

No matter what she is you definitely won the jackpot with this one. What a face! You could win a contest with that second photo. I don't see how you can get anything accomplished. If she was my dog, every time I saw that face I'd have to stop and hug and kiss her.

2012-12-01 10:11 AM

Sweet face, such a great story! Enjoy your life together!

2012-12-01 10:29 AM

Nobody could resist that face! How lucky you both are. I love rescue dogs and the people who rescue them.

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 10:36 AM

ditto!

2012-12-01 10:55 AM

We finally get to see Fiona close-up!

2012-12-01 11:10 AM

@200P LMAO

2012-12-01 11:10 AM

She is the best dog ever, says me, Fiona's aunt. And those eyes..

2012-12-01 02:48 PM

How in the heck did you get this dog in Target? I have a service dog and they required documentation and even then they were snotty about it.

PRINCESS10 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 04:47 PM

Fiona went shopping with us in Ventura. We did not see any "No Dogs" signs so I suggested that we put her in the cart. Fiona and her mom got evicted eventually by the management but before that she received a lot of admiring glance!

2012-12-01 05:29 PM

What a sweetie! Thank you for rescuing a homeless dog!

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 06:36 PM

So cute! I love her expressions! 146, I was thinking the same thing about a photo contest. :)

2012-12-01 10:01 PM

My first thought was: Ah, GAH! Not another "Fiona" pic. Whew. A sweeet happy dog, instead.

Although you'd better not let my friend see your dog in a shopping cart. I'd never hear the end of it. (And I do hope you had the courtesy to put down a towel, first. Dog's do tend to sit right on their . . .)

Wishing best to you both. Thank you for rescuing a dog.

2012-12-02 08:48 AM

Fiona is wonderful!

UPONTHEHILL agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 08:55 AM

what a great face!

OLDLAWOMAN agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 10:46 AM

Oh, wow, she is simply delicious. What a great pooch. You're both so lucky to share your lives. God bless you for rescuing her.

2012-12-02 11:00 AM

What a sweet baby girl...a rescue knows that they have been rescued.

LUCKY 777 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 12:33 PM

I spend time riding my mule around in the rural housing areas of Hesperia, and a big percentage of the lots have half-built and abandoned buildings on them. The rest seem to have an assortment of guard dogs, and I have come to identify properties by the creatures on patrol who come running out to intimidate passers by. Fortunate for this lovely dog that she escaped a life there.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 05:27 PM

She does indeed look like a bearded collie. What a sweet face - and those eyes are downright haunting.

2012-12-02 08:53 PM

She is indeed beautiful!!! As a true lover of authentic mutts I have to confess to a snicker when you were fooled! I've never understood the idea of going for a certain breed.

And @373P regarding the towel in the shopping cart... Are you kidding me? Do you really think those carts are any less sanitary than a dog's behind?

OP, wishing you many, many years of puppy bliss!

65% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.