Sonoma Weather: 76.1°F | Humidity: 58% | Pressure: 29.83in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: ENE | Wind Speed: 1.0mph [forecast]

Yosemite Colors
updated: Nov 29, 2012, 12:06 PM

By Denise Dewire

I just returned from a three day trip to Yosemite with a friend from Sacramento. We had gorgeous weather, although a brisk, chilly 32 degrees each morning we were out shooting. And luckily during our visit, we had a full moon that wasn't obscured by any clouds. Here are a few from the several hundred I captured of this fantastic national park. This year even though fall started off early, it has lasted a lot longer then most years, according to locals. And those Ravens are so use to people, they practically climb in your car if you leave the door open. I'm guessing too many visitors "feed" them thus making them almost "pet-like"!

If you've never had the Yosemite experience, I highly recommend a visit. From my front door (Ventura) to the valley floor it's just a short six hour drive, (maybe a bit shorter if you don't encountered fog or rain)!

2012-11-29 12:26 PM

I was going to buy some chocolate this afternoon..but seeing this wonderful "eye candy" proved to be just what the doctor ordered. Fabulous! And...low cal. Remembering when the ranger used to yell " let the fire fall! " when I was a young camper brings back great memories of Yosemite.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 12:33 PM

Beautiful..

2012-11-29 12:59 PM

Lovely pictures, you have an excellent eye.

2012-11-29 01:01 PM

Awesome photos. The wooden bridge photo is may favorite.

ECHO agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 01:03 PM

So beautiful! One of the best experiences of my life was working in Yosemite! Its been over 10 years. I worked at the front desk in Housekeeping Camp, and Curry Village, and lived in a canvass tent. I was only there for a couple of months, but learned so much about myself. It was amazing to live and work there. It was also amazing/alarming what people visiting would say and do. Such as asking when we turned the falls off at night, what time do we let the bears out in the morning, and walking their kids up to deer in the morning to pose for pictures and telling them to "pet the antlers". Its true that some of the animals become desensitized to people. Someday I'll get back there.

2012-11-29 01:10 PM

Wow. gorgeous pics. And thanks to Denise for making her watermarks small & not in-your-face. I hate seeing a gorgeous photo where the first thing my eye goes to is random text... Fantastic photos! Makes me a bit home sick seeing the fall leaves & frost.

2012-11-29 01:12 PM

Very nice iconic shots of The Valley. Well done. Your photo skills (in camera and post) are improving by leaps and bounds.

2012-11-29 01:31 PM

Quote the Raven. Nice of him to pose for you.

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 01:32 PM

Amazing captures Denise, as usual. I'll be in Yosemite for Chistmas this year...a bucket list item. Hope I can capture the beauty as well as you have.

2012-11-29 01:42 PM

Lovely pictures, thanks! I, too, like best the one of the wooden bridge. I can practically feel the drifting leaves. Next, the one of the leaves and then the moon to the east of Half Dome. ...I am curious, why do you call them "captured" - sounds like a wild animal, although I guess the raven is wild. :) ?

2012-11-29 02:36 PM

Thanks for the comments and compliments. Aqua can't for your trip, especially in December and your experiencing Bracebridge!

CHERIDIANE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 03:49 PM

Stunning!

2012-11-29 04:10 PM

Stunning scenery so beautifully captured. Thanks for sharing these with us!

DEEKER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 04:32 PM

I used to live near Yosemite and visited there often. I've lived in Santa Barbara for 15 years now and miss going there. Thanks for bringing back some good memories.... Beautiful photos!

2012-11-29 05:57 PM

I've only been to Yosemite in the summer, it looks gorgeous this time of year.

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 06:01 PM

Outstanding photos, Denise. I could almost feel the crisp air on my skin looking at your photos.

Thank you for sharing with us!

2012-11-29 07:46 PM

Nice work! You have honed your craft well.

2012-11-29 07:52 PM

Where were you in the first picture? I don't think I've ever come across that spot in my trips to Yosemite. Beautiful!!!

THE BARRON agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 08:38 PM

Nice images!

2012-11-30 06:24 AM

544...

The first picture is from an area called Valley View. There is a large turnout as many people stop there for pictures. It is a great spot most of the day. And still snow and ice left as the sun doesn't hit that area.

It is also where at least two Ravens hang out most of the time. We stopped there three times and every time they were there waiting for a treat....we didn't feed them though!

2012-11-30 08:07 AM

Very nice images, particularly those of Half Dome reflections from various vantages.

POWDRELL agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-30 08:09 AM

Stunning images!!

2012-11-30 10:56 AM

Yosemite makes everyone a great photographer.

I hope you got out of the Valley at some point.

2012-11-30 11:54 AM

We only go to Yosemite in the winter. I think it has the best snow/winter scenery of any place I've been (from back East so know snow well). It's also so much quieter. You can spend hours walking the trails on the Valley floor and encounter very few people. And you can sled and skate. We also take advantage of a special rate at the Ahwahnee. We have progressed from sleeping in a tent during snow in November to unheated tents in Curry Village to rooms or cabins at the Lodge, with 3 kids sharing, to the Ahwahnee, the closest thing our children had to "The Shining". Our older kids would terrorize the youngest by chasing him down the corridor whispering 'Here's Johnny'.

HAROLDM agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-30 04:44 PM

Stunning!

52% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.