Sonoma Weather: 52.2°F | Humidity: 85% | Pressure: 29.92in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: NNE | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Holiday Stress
updated: Nov 29, 2012, 1:17 PM

Is anyone else noticing the erratic behavior of drivers recently? Is it the rain or holiday stress or both? Even pedestrians seem to be unaware of where they are walking. It must be the Christmas lists on the brain.

2012-11-29 01:34 PM

And it's not even December yet.

2012-11-29 01:36 PM

I haven't noticed anything different about drivers being erratic - but I have noticed cyclists being more annoying and breaking more rules of the road than ever before.

2012-11-29 01:37 PM

Recently? I see it 365 days a year, every year. Not just locally either, bad driving is a seemingly endless out of control epidemic.

2012-11-29 01:47 PM

I am sick of trying to help iPhone5 users with their navigation issues, they would be better off just calling 911 instead of going 7 menu’s deep to try to find the directions to the nearest Applebee’s. (This is directed to you, mr smelly hipster on MTD 6 to Goleta this morning, take my advice and get an android smart phone.)

2012-11-29 01:48 PM

Santa Barbara is an example of the fact that you cant fit 10 lbs of stuff(people,cars ,bikes etc.) in a one pound bag.

2012-11-29 01:50 PM

YES! I noticed people not driving in their lanes on the freeway for the past 2 days. I can't tell if they are texting or what but I have noticed the drivers are a lot worse of late.

2012-11-29 01:51 PM

If there is one immutable truth about Southern California, it's that no one knows how to drive in the rain. If I had to put money on it, it would be the rain.

2012-11-29 02:03 PM

What do you mean recently?

2012-11-29 02:14 PM

It's the rain. People in SB seem almost terrified of it while driving. I grew up here and went to school in Oregon and, man, it rains a LOT up there. People just carry on their normal business and drive as they would on a 100 degree summer day. But here, nope. Folks start stopping in the middle of intersections, swerving all over the road, slowing to 40mph on the freeway, basically every bad driving habit other than stopping in the middle of the road and running screaming from their cars.....

2012-11-29 02:20 PM

I noticed it before the rain. I don't know why. I have seen people making up a second lane when its a one lane road, lots of cutting people off and lots of impatience. Find some patience folks, not worth your life and trust me dealing with rediculous insurance companies after an accident is a nightmare!

2012-11-29 02:24 PM

369P: Best comment.

It's fun to find how others perceive things. I notice how drivers refuse to drive more slowly and carefully, especially on the 101, when there's rain. 65-70mph, no problem.

And I notice how many drivers either don't know their headlights should be on (whenever you need to use wipers, while it's raining----put on headlights, it's the law), OR they think they are too cool to put on headlights OR they worry they will forget headlights and run down their batteries.

Please, turn on your headlights while driving in the rain. No brainer.

Also: Cyclists be warned. If I see you on the sidewalk, I will call it in. And I will describe you so well, you will be ticketed.

2012-11-29 02:24 PM

This is not anything new your just now noticing.

2012-11-29 02:43 PM

Why does immigration have to be brought up in practically every thread on Edhat, even when it isn't relevant to the discussion? Get a life.

At any rate, 2012 seems like it's just been a bad year for drivers. I walk most of the time (live and work downtown) and the number of people paying no attention to the road at all seems dramatically increased over 2011 and prior years. Maybe I'm just paying closer attention though.

2012-11-29 03:02 PM

Lol, 383, as if any US born people actually know how to drive? I guess immigrants are all the one's driving BMW's with busted turn signals.

2012-11-29 03:03 PM

In a word, it's about bad attitude. Tailgating in order to 'push' the front car to speed up, drifting into the oncoming lane on two-lane roads as a result of 'staring' at the oncoming driver causing the car to drift in the direction the head and eyes go, lazy cornering on two-lane roads over the yellow line, getting into the other lane to avoid the bicycle only to take a chance on a head-on collision, and more.

'It's all about me' attitude, 'I'm gonna be first', 'I'm gonna be fast', 'I'm late because I didn't leave early enough so you can put up with my speeding', and 'I just don't care about you or your family, just me, myself and I.'

Add in unlicensed drivers, shaky geezers who are basically afraid to step on the gas on an onramp, and general space-cadets, and we have- wa-la! 40 grand people dead each year.

2012-11-29 03:21 PM

395 - that was me and my name is Mr. Manfred Manual McManusman, Sr.

2012-11-29 03:24 PM

@348395 that's not fair. I'm a woman and have experienced numerous times a particular MALE mtd driver doing the exact same thing at the roundabout on Milpas.

2012-11-29 03:29 PM

348403 - The minivan was a big contributing factor in my stereotyping.

I'd hazard to guess that 95% of MTD bus drivers are male, and the law of averages dictates that some of them suck at driving.

2012-11-29 04:03 PM

I'm so sick of "me first" drivers. I see them all the time! My biggest peeve is those who run red lights. If my light is green, you should not be entering the intersection! They mess up the whole traffic pattern. Best example of this is the Carrillo off ramps at lunchtime. There will be 4 cars in the intersection after the light changes, and another one trying to creep in. There is no room for the cars who have a green light! Maybe one car gets to go through, if they too snake through a yellow.

I am a little extra sensitive to this right now because someone close to me was in an accident recently when someone else ran a red. He got t-boned and they had to remove his spleen last night.

I just feel it is really important for all of us to consider those around us and their safety, as well as our own. There is no Right to Make it Through THIS Light. A typical light signal cycle is what, 1-3 minutes? Is not having to wait that short time worth someone's Life?

2012-11-29 04:03 PM

Someone on edhat commented a few weeks ago about the "dangerous stretch of hwy between Carp and Goleta" with someone calling them out on how silly that was and referencing basic driving skills. There is no problem with that stretch of hwy, it's poor driving that is responsible for the many accidents (and horrible traffic) on that stretch of hwy. It seems that drivers are getting worse and worse in SB every year. I am not talking about people who drive too fast, I AM TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DRIVE TOO SLOW. Stopping at roundabouts for no reason, slowly merging onto fwy on ramps, driving 60 mph in the left lane, slowing down while going up Ortega hill, slowing down to gape and the CT worker on the other side of the road. It's a privilege people and you are expected to be competent! The majority of the time it's less safe to drive 55 on the fwy than it is to drive 75. Pay attention, consider the flow of traffic, understand how to corner your car, accelerate up a hill so you don't slow traffic, glance quickly across the road with out slowing down, learn how to navigate a roundabout (no need to stop or slow down if there is no one in it!), etc.
Instead of "Slow Down SB", how about "Learn how to Drive, SB!"

2012-11-29 04:34 PM

Well I gotta problem with people in cars and pickups making a wide right turn, or left turn. For some reason they think they are a semi or pickup pulling a trailer or something. Basically, most people drive like idiots.

2012-11-29 04:40 PM

More peeps txtng while drving, brb

sorry, kindrgrtn class in xwalk, 2 close!

2012-11-29 05:25 PM

An automakers are putting more and more gizmos into cars (new Accords get email for you, "drowsy" systems that tell when you haven't blinked for awhile...). Instead we could spend less and do more on driver education!

I don't get upset when people go too fast, I get upset with what I call "dribblers". They don't coast up to and then stop at the red light. They stop many car-lengths back and then dribble up to the car in front of them during a red light. Sometimes that greatly impacts busy intersections. And thank you 348430 for noticing "me first" drivers. Those who cut me off to make a left when they could hesitate for 5 seconds and not cut me off. Sheesh. Why risk a wreck when you can pause for 5 seconds to allow traffic to pass? I could rant on and on and on...

2012-11-29 06:01 PM

Rain doesn't help, but main problem is distracted drivers; talk, text, eat, shave, read. Throw in lack of patience. Lack of attention. Lack of consideration. Lack of common sense. Selfish nitwits

2012-11-29 07:03 PM

I think this might be that one magic post that all of us edhaters agree on, bravo!!! If we could all just somehow work together since we all live, work ,eat, play, shit, drive in the same town we would be alright.

2012-11-29 07:10 PM

I have zero faith in the DMV driving test! My sister passed the test and she is the worst driver i have ever seen and she is scared to drive!

2012-11-29 07:56 PM

Duckdude, "Slow Down SB" signs are meant for residential areas. And the alleyway past my building that's also used as a thoroughfare! And for those who drive down De la Vina, past Rehab Institute and SB Convalescent Hospital, at 40 mph. I agree that entering and driving slowly on 101 is a hazard.
I make a point of slowing down and of giving others a break during the horrific xmas season. I don't shop, so I let the crazies go to it, in the stores and on the roads. At least I'm being self-defensive. But I try to be kinder: I am careful not to block driveways and to let people exit parking lots ahead of me so they won't have to wait for however many light cycles to do so. It gets pretty hellacious from TJ's on De la Vina to 5 Points. I do everything I can to avoid it; helps to shop at 8 or 9 a.m. or p.m. But it just isn't worth losing your cool or your health or your car or your life. Duuuudes and duuuudettes, just mellow out. :-)

2012-11-29 07:56 PM

Tip of the Day, Note to Self:
BUY NEW WIPER BLADES. High quality ones.

2012-11-29 08:05 PM

The rain is an issue, people drive poorly in it and then to top it off we have pot holes that open up on the freeway and all over town so people run the extra risks of hydroplaning or hitting a big hole and they swerve. Just got new wipers this week and I'm glad I did, they make driving in the rain MUCH better!

2012-11-29 08:25 PM

Students. They drive like they're immortal.

2012-11-29 08:27 PM

I give kudos to so many posts here! Good point that this thread should be agreeable, which is a relief. PATIENCE. Slow down in rain and low visibility and stay in the slow lane. Use your headlights. Don't be an "all about me, me first" driver. And "dribblers" make me crazy too. Don't they know there are people behind them?!

Consider how uncomfortable the driver in front of you may be. Night driving and lowered visibility stresses me and my eyesight and reflexes are normal. Decades ago (before cell phones even!), my '68 Chrysler's wipers stopped working as I drove on the freeway. I kept going by keeping my finger on the rocker switch to maintain the connection, but I was driving relatively slowly in the slow lane. That was NOT a good drive but stuff happens.

The human driving in front of you could be lost or looking for an address they've never been to before. They could have a car issue or bad wiper blades. Life happens. Empathy is a good thing. Try to be nice, and calm. Please don't be aggressive or confrontational.
/Pollyanna, who's never been in an accident or gotten a moving violation (I concentrate and scan constantly when I'm speeding lol).

A friend really did become aware of his (very common to many of both sexes) propensity to speed up when people were maneuvering to change lanes or pass him on the freeway and he modified his behavior. Imagine really learning something in driving school! I've never forgotten it either.

457P I laughed out loud. Does that make me a bad person?

And a pet peeve: drivers who sit behind someone turning left in a left turn allowed intersection who blast their horn the entire time the turning driver is waiting for an opening. That's just nasty.

2012-11-30 08:25 AM

No one mentions the nearly complete absence of police enforcement of the rules of the road. They could make a fortune any morning around San Marcos HS, ticketing the dozens of drivers using the bike lane as a third lane (forcing the bike riders into traffic) or the countless cellphone users holding up traffic, or worse, drifting into the next lane.

Sometime you can't rely on people to do the right thing. Like children, they need consequences to learn that.

2012-11-30 11:04 AM

I have noticed erratic behavior by drivers and pedestrians recently ... but that's because I spent over a week driving in Boston. Comparatively, the drivers and pedestrians here are on rails.

DRBUD agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-30 07:10 PM

Just never forget that you are out there on the highway with driver brains that have been soaked for years by various forms of drugs. All of which exact a price on the function of these rather necessary cells.
Go on folks, don't let this little problem stop you from enjoying your highs!!

26% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.