Sonoma Weather: 63.0°F | Humidity: 82% | Pressure: 29.88in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: WSW | Wind Speed: 2.0mph [forecast]

Created In SB

Showy Sunset
updated: Nov 20, 2012, 8:04 PM

By Brian Peddicord (CreatedinSB)

This evening's brilliant sunset taken at Hendry's Beach by Brian Peddicord of CreatedinSB.com

2012-11-20 08:08 PM

Filter or color enhancement or did it really look like this?

2012-11-20 08:51 PM

That's totally nukular!

2012-11-20 09:22 PM

How long will this temporary blindness last? At least I hope it's temporary. ;-)

2012-11-20 11:50 PM

508P - I took the picture with my iphone and when I got home I put it in iPhoto and just turned up the saturation a little bit, but it was pretty spectacular as it was with the clouds. I like to make sunset art :)

524 - pretty rad, huh?

530P - Haha, I know, I had little bright spots in my vision for the next hour after this. All good though. Google "Sun Gazing" and you find that viewing the sun during it's last hour is actually really good for you. It stimulates your pineal gland in your head which is like a little solar cell :)

2012-11-21 02:26 AM

Ah Ha! Not only beautiful but educational as well!

2012-11-21 07:23 AM

I keep staring at that photo and I think my pineal gland might be getting stimulated. How will I know?

2012-11-21 07:39 AM

Brian, I'm not so sure Sun Gazing is 'good' for your eyes. I'm not a health professional, but a quick wiki search turned up this: The practice of sungazing is dangerous. Looking directly at the sun for even brief periods of time may cause blindness or severe damage to the eye.[8] Solar retinopathy, damage to the eye’s retina due to solar radiation,[9] and blindness to varying degrees and persistence frequently result from sungazing during a solar eclipse.[2][10] Although vision loss due to this damage is generally reversible,[9] permanent damage and loss of vision have been reported.[11] Most eye care professionals advise patients to avoid looking directly at the sun.[12] Exposure to ultraviolet radiation, produced by the sun, is associated with damage to the eye, including pterygium[13] and cataracts.[14]

2012-11-21 08:12 AM

@OP: Did you see the green flash?

CHICA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-21 03:33 PM

So will this photo hurt my eyes if I stare at it?

56% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.