Sonoma Weather: 54.2°F | Humidity: 97% | Pressure: 30.24in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: ESE | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Birdland
updated: Nov 04, 2012, 9:12 AM

By Denise Dewire

Aquaholic and I spent several hours on Friday visiting the Goleta Slough, Lake Los Carneros and Overlook Park in Summerland. Not too many birds on our adventure, but did get a few good shots of a few. It was another gorgeous day in Santa Barbara county.

2012-11-04 09:40 AM

Now we have swans and a goose and domestic ducks at the Goleta Slough? Did someone back up their truck and unload part of their barnyard collection?

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-04 09:58 AM

007, The swans and ducks are at Lake Los Carneros. Great captures Denise as always....had fun!

2012-11-04 10:39 AM

There have always been swans, geese and ducks in Goleta Slough. Thank Allah for them.

2012-11-04 11:14 AM

Native ducks always present at Goleta Slough and in larger numbers of species over the winter. Non-native ducks hardly ever present, but are found at LLC.

The non-native mute swan prefers Devereux, LLC or UCSB lagoon - not common at Goleta Slough.

Thus the statement about Goleta Slough should be native ducks are common - geese, swans and non-native ducks none with the possible exception of a rare stopover.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-04 03:49 PM

All great photos, but especially love the composition of the stilts (?) The third photo down reminds me of a Bev Doolittle painting.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-04 03:53 PM

Oops! Second photo.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-04 05:22 PM

Like the white frizzy bird with yellow feet kinda reminds me of Goldie Hawn I don't know why?

2012-11-04 07:07 PM

I saw a single swan ( they mate for life) about two weeks ago at the Goleta Slough and am happy to see two in one of the images you so finely captured. No idea if the single swan was actually the same one I saw recently, but seeing two made my heart sing!

2012-11-04 07:10 PM

"Barnyard" commenter here. I need to work on my reading comprehension. All I read was "Goleta Slough," and couldn't figure how non-sea ducks, geese and swans would be at the Slough. Der.

2012-11-04 07:48 PM

Thanks for the comments...yes, Aqua another fun photo shoot!

MESARATS agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-04 11:16 PM

Love the photo of the swan and ducks. All these great photos remind me of how lazy I have become with the stupid smart phone and howI hardly take my camera out any more. Shame on me.

FANGIRL agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-05 09:08 AM

What a wonderful way to spend a day!

2012-11-05 11:14 AM

I ? you aquaholic...can I marry you? Pretty please

77% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.