Sonoma Weather: 38.9°F | Humidity: 88% | Pressure: 30.40in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 1.0mph [forecast]

Mystery Bug
updated: Nov 01, 2012, 3:46 PM

This was in the bathtub, looks like a set of false eyelashes come to life; about 2 inches long, very fast.

2012-11-01 03:53 PM

House Centipede

MTNDRIVER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-01 03:54 PM

That's what's called a house centipede. Harmless, they eat ants, etc.

2012-11-01 05:26 PM

Harmless and INCREDIBLY CREEPY. But I still try to not kill them & get them outside if I can catch the quick little buggers.

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-01 05:31 PM

If they eat ants, I could use a few dozen around my house & yard. We have been under attack this year for some reason. I thought I'd gotten punk'd the other day when I found a trail if ants INSIDE my new car...I looked all over the car, thought maybe someone put a bologna sandwich under my seat...rrrggghhh.

2012-11-01 07:01 PM

This is the first year I've seen them in my house. They are quick little buggers. If they eat ants, I'm transporting them outside to feast.

2012-11-02 12:25 AM

When I found one of these in my bathroom, I sent the pic to a bug guy up at Museum of Nat. Hist. He told me these are very beneficial predators. Originally from Mexico.

House centipedes like to eat silverfish, too. I read up on these centipedes, and learned that if you start seeing more and more of these in your house, then you have an infestation of "food" that they like. In other words, you have a problem population of silverfish and such.

I have only seen two h.c.s in six months. One was in my basement. But, for all I know, it was the same one I took out of my downstairs bathroom and gently set outside, six months ago. Eat on, oh humble house centipedes!

2012-11-02 07:33 AM

Scutigera coleoptrara, a spectacular critter. Likes dark moist places like basements. Great pic!

2012-11-02 08:05 AM

Resist gluing these centipedes to your eyelids-(couldn't help myself) :)

2012-11-02 10:57 AM

Wait, they eat silverfish? Ok, anyone want to give some up so I can take them home? I will no longer transport them outside! Our apartment has a huge silverfish problem, and I'm willing to deal with the creepy factor of these guys if they'll eat those horrid little silver jerks. Three cheers for house centipedes!

44% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.