Sonoma Weather: 51.2°F | Humidity: 83% | Pressure: 30.07in (Rising) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Ballot Postage
updated: Oct 25, 2012, 10:17 AM

How much postage is needed for the mail in ballot? All it says is "Place sufficient first class postage here" - Googling I found answers from "It will get delivered regardless" to "$1.70". I contacted the Elections office but they have yet to reply.

2012-10-25 10:21 AM

I believe it's just one first class stamp. That's all I ever use and I assume it gets there.

2012-10-25 10:21 AM

1 regular ole stamp, confirmed.

2012-10-25 10:23 AM

Take it to the post office and have them weigh it.

2012-10-25 10:36 AM

I thought about this today as I prepared my ballot. Real problem that Elections office should address if it is anything other than one stamp.

2012-10-25 10:43 AM

None, drop off at any of the voting places they day of.

2012-10-25 10:52 AM

I used to drop it off the "day of" but I want my vote to be counted, not just put in a pile to be opened in case of close race. Sometimes those ballots aren't opened for days after the election. To me that says " Your vote doesn't count." I already mailed mine in.

2012-10-25 11:10 AM

I called the elections office - one first class stamp is all it requires.

2012-10-25 12:15 PM

I mailed mine from the Post Office, and they confirmed that it was just one first-class stamp.

EMI PHOTO agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-25 12:22 PM

the elections office is off calle real, you can always drop it off directly and not pay any postage.

2012-10-25 01:23 PM

and it would be nice in future elections for the ballot envelope to be printed to state that one first class stamp is required.

2012-10-25 02:40 PM

If it were not a ballot, and that size, it would be deemed oversized and one stamp would not suffice.
Why, of all things, don't they make ballots postage paid? They could utilize bulk rate and it would be cheap. Avoid the confusion. I read that in many communities (with more ballot initiatives and thus heavier ballots) up to 40% of the mail in ballots will not arrive at the registrar in time because of inadequate postage.

2012-10-25 02:53 PM

Vote early and often (hehe).

GREENTOO agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-25 02:59 PM

We wasted a couple stamps because of our uncertainty about what was required. It should just say "Place stamp here" in a little box if that is all that is needed.

2012-10-25 03:17 PM

~16,000,000,000,000 USD

2012-10-25 04:12 PM

One dead ambassador.

2012-10-25 07:18 PM

42 cents

2012-10-25 07:53 PM

It is sad that ballots require postage at all. It would be a small franking expense for the cause of free elections. For that matter why is the burden of registering to vote on the citizen, instead of having the state register all citizens to vote automatically? (works in other countries)

2012-10-25 08:04 PM

Mine says no postage required if mailed in the United States. Maybe it's different because I'm in a mandatory vote by mail precinct?

2012-10-25 08:29 PM

I agree that there should be no postage stamp required. Can't we afford this?

2012-10-26 05:35 AM

One 45ยข stamp (688, take note) or one "Forever" stamp.

@698 " . . . all citizens to vote automatically." Does that include the babes in diapers? Do you think their parents will "help" them with the voting?

What's with the griping about the hardship of pasting on a single stamp? We are privileged to vote and lucky to be able to do so by mail. C'mon.

528 is correct. You can, if you want, drop off your Vote By Mail ballot at ANY polling place in the County. Or at City Hall. Or County Elections office on Calle del Remedio.

Just don't slip a VBM ballot into a mailbox at 8pm on Tuesday Nov 6 and think it will be counted. Mail it in today.

2012-10-26 07:05 AM

Be sure to check the status of your mailed in ballot. You can find out if has been received and is in good order at sbcvote, the County Clerk's office.

LUCKY 777 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-26 08:57 AM

Hooray for EdHat, I was another one who did some Googling last night to find this out, and finally GAVE UP and was going to wait until I could get the dang thing to the post office and make SURE it got there. Bad enough I had a moment of doubt about how long it has been since I registered, and has my signature changed, which might mean they would not even open the envelope. Sheesh. And I for one second the concept that ALL elections should have free postage paid envelopes. It is the least our taxes could buy for us, and might up participation. Dismal as the choices ever are.

2012-10-26 09:10 AM

Why mail in the ballot? That's crazy, they want you to vote and you have to pay for it? Doesn't make sense to me. Why drop off at the balloting place, walk in and vote.

2012-10-26 09:29 AM

One ounce or less, one regular stamp. I've always thought voting envelopes should be franked by the government, so voters aren't paying to vote by mail. I believe that it's discriminatory.

2012-10-26 09:37 AM

Ventura post office says the local ballot needs 65 cents postage. So many people just put two first class stamps.
Ventura election office said maybe our ballot is smaller than Santa Barbara's.

RHS agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-26 11:03 AM

The reason it is not marked on the envelope is because some ballots are heavier than others (more pages, e.g. the Ventura example). The reason the mail is not free is that this is a hit on the USPO a private business being pressed by the conservatives to "make money" not perform public services (as Ben Franklin imagined).
The cost of putting on a stamp or two is minimal as compared to the cost of driving or taking a bus to the elections office. It is a real bargain just like the mail service is for other uses.
Another trying issue in the life of a US citizen resolved!!!

HAROLDM agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-26 02:46 PM

I weighed mine from Goleta--just a tad under 1 oz (the 45 cent or single forever amount). There was blank room on the back so more propositions/initiatives would have fit without making the ballot larger and heavier.
I wonder why Ventura's is so large and heavy.

2012-10-26 02:54 PM

65 cents for Republicans... 23 cents for Democrats.

2012-10-26 03:23 PM

2TRU2TRU love it!

2012-10-26 03:37 PM

Not everyone has the ability to go in and vote, 823. Work schedules, disability, etc. Vote by mail actually increases voter participation and "turnout", almost certainly due to the convenience.

(The fact that Election Day isn't a holiday is pretty ridiculous.)

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-26 08:56 PM

I like to take it to a polling place, but had thought about it not being opened.

29% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.