Sonoma Weather: 60.1°F | Humidity: 79% | Pressure: 29.93in ( Falling) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 4.0mph [forecast]

Job Love
updated: Oct 23, 2012, 9:32 AM

How many edhatters are truly doing what they love for employment? It would be great to hear about your success stories!

2012-10-23 09:37 AM

Unfortunately not me. I work for snakes that make my job worse than it has to be.

2012-10-23 09:41 AM

I love my job as a librarian. It's not nearly as low-stress as most would imagine, but it's a great challenge in a constantly evolving environment.

2012-10-23 09:49 AM

Considering that I am a very fresh college graduate -- not from a local institution -- making an upwards of 31k at a relatively stable marketing company, I'm happy at my job. Sure, somedays I wonder where the heck my money went (learning about taxes the hard way) and where the heck intellectual stimulation/challenge went (I'm pretty much an assistant), it's a good gig with the occasional perk. It's better than being unemployed or in a job that is not commensurate with my area of study.

2012-10-23 09:52 AM

Meh. In this economy? Despite being a well educated, licensed and experienced professional, I'm just happy to have a paycheck.

2012-10-23 09:55 AM

Is this a trick question? What is edhat's privacy policy?

2012-10-23 09:55 AM

I looked for things to love and I ended up in fact loving it when I started out mainly doing it for the money. Win win.

2012-10-23 09:55 AM

Love Love my job. Super challenging, but the joy I see everyday from our clients is totally worth all the stress.

2012-10-23 09:55 AM

I manage a horse facility and I'm happy to say that my job is wonderful. My husband doesn't gripe about me being at the barn all day anymore and I have the best friends and clients one could ask for.

2012-10-23 09:58 AM

My job will allow me to live in Santa Barbara, great bennies (health and retirement). I Work by the ocean, which is my one true love! Although I will never be "SB Wealthy", and I will most likely never be able to own a home here, I will be rich beyond my wildest dreams! Working outside with my hands, on projects I love, in the city that raised me. My backyard will run county wide, full of amazing adventures. yes I love my job, but not as much as I love Santa Barbara!

2012-10-23 10:10 AM

I adore my coworkers, which makes all the difference considering I'm not in "my field". I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of 611, though. :)

2012-10-23 10:12 AM

I love my job! Sorry for being so vague. But I truly do love it.

2012-10-23 10:14 AM

I am a ski/snowboard instructor/guide in Utah, December-May. I LOVE my job and wish it snowed all year round.

2012-10-23 10:15 AM

I couldn't be happier! I'm a self employed photographer and although the economy has hit everyone hard, I have never been more busy! I'm wondering if people are valuing capturing their family together more these days since they might be going through more tough times. I'm so happy I pursued my passion and can help support my family with it!

2012-10-23 10:18 AM

I love the benefits, the pay and the people I work with...not so much the job, which is just ok. I'm set to retire in another 5 years or so and will not come back to visit the old job or think fondly of the work I did. Then again, I really can't imagine any job that I would love more than being retired and spending my time how I choose. Just so glad that I do not have a job where I would wake up every day and loathe going to work. Work is work, and that is a four letter word.

2012-10-23 10:35 AM

I love my job! I love my colleagues , I love what I learn each and every day in this very interesting line of work, I love my paycheck and I LOVE that I can walk to work.

EDHATBARBARA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-23 10:36 AM

I am a career paralegal, having done the work for 40 years and truly love what I do. It's definitely a case of "be-do-have" for me and I enjoy being of service to the clients and the community. I'm good at what I do, provide a much needed service and bridge the communications between lawyer and client, court and others every day. It's extremely satisfying and fulfilling work.

2012-10-23 10:50 AM

Not me. I'm done. Wish I could retire. Lack the whatever to go find another.

2012-10-23 10:53 AM

I love my freedom as an Entrepreneur and love working with people who take a vision and make it reality. Knowing that I am creating jobs in our community and helping people improve their quality of life through our products, is just awesome!

2012-10-23 10:54 AM

"Love" is a strong term. I "ENJOY" what I currently do for employment; but I have enjoyed a wide variety of jobs over the years: aerospace design engineer & project manager; managing editor for a book publisher; telecommunications design & construction manager; disaster recovery (emergency response) manager; and a host of other side-line duties, hobbies and special interests. So, to paraphrase an old song lyric: If you can't be with the job you love, then love the job you are with.

(My apologies to Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)

2012-10-23 10:57 AM

Love the people I work with and what I do, but hate the large corporation that I work for. Our industry is a growing one making TONS of money, but the people that do the 'work' are expected to do twice the work while making the same amount of money. Cost of living raise - HA! We've got to forego raises while the big wigs are building fancy houses all over the country. Lucky to have work and benefits, unlucky to feel so taken.

2012-10-23 11:15 AM

What job? I am one of the 23 million.

2012-10-23 11:37 AM

I loved my job more before the price of gas went up (it involves driving) but the company I work for is great and has a great product and personal integrity. First people I have worked for who I can say that of.

2012-10-23 11:49 AM

I lucked out and created my job 3 years ago when things were starting to go south. Easily the best career move for me because I am no longer a cubicle gal! I work at home and sometimes it's 12 hours with a 2 hour lunch but my dog is happy and so am I.

ICYJEN agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-23 11:54 AM

I love my job! I am doing exactly what I love to do, love the company and people I work for, and am close enough to commute via bike on days it's too nice to drive. And best of all? I'm allowed to do all this in SB, which is a great place!

2012-10-23 11:57 AM

I'm with 645 in that 23 million. What job? I've been looking for over 3 years and moving out of the area is not an option. But as for being happy, I'm loving the time off. So this is what retirement feels like; I wish I could retire now but I have 10 years to go. If only my savings would last that long. Sigh.

2012-10-23 12:36 PM

Started at $41K 13 years ago, making $100K now. Great benefits. Pension. My own office. Can work from home if I want. Adjustable work hours. Every other Friday off. Get to utilize both sides of brain in what I do. Awesome job. Would hate to get laid off. Probably voting for Romney for that reason alone. Private company....not working for city/county/state.

2012-10-23 12:50 PM

I'm with 636.

2012-10-23 12:54 PM

Yep - I love my job. Just like I love my kids and my husband. Things aren't perfect in every respect every day, and it's definitely hard work to keep everything flowing, but overall I love the work I do each day. I love the benefits that come with the job - working downtown, the paycheck, the health insurance, paid days off, walking to work, my coworkers (most of them anyway), the sense of pride and accomplishment that comes with making a difference in peoples' lives, keeping my brain active with the aggrivations and problems that present themselves daily, and being able to relish the weekends. I'm happy to have a job that I truly do love.

2012-10-23 01:00 PM

I'm fresh out of college in a company growing like crazy. It's not the industry I'd imagined I would be in, but it's interesting and I am enjoying it.

2012-10-23 01:06 PM

Have double college degrees, but found I loved working with my hands most of all. Plus it can't be out-sourced. Explore the "manual arts" occupations, and you may be surprised how much you love them.

(You know, where they stuck the "dumb" kids, who got the last laugh.)

Tactile satisfaction skills are vastly under-appreciated for job satisfaction and can take many different forms from the arts to culinary to health care to day labor to mechanics.

2012-10-23 01:35 PM

I have been self employed for 7+ years, and it is the BEST. I will never work for someone else again. I think people need to put there passions, hobbies, and interests together into a business plan. You just gotta go for it, and don't let anything hold you back from following your dream. You can do it. Follow your heart.

2012-10-23 01:52 PM

I have two jobs and I am very lucky to say that I love them both. The full time job for the work I get to do there and the part time job for both the work and the amazing, well run organization that it is. I am well paid at both. It takes a lot of dedication but it is well worth it.

2012-10-23 01:55 PM

I have loved most of the jobs I have done over the years. I'm especially thankful as I transition towards retirement after 17 years of owning my own business.
I can't wait to see what comes up next!

2012-10-23 02:32 PM

I am retired now and I love it!

2012-10-23 02:33 PM

There's what you do, and then there's how you do it and who you do it for.

As a self-employed craftsman, I get to choose all three! That's the part I love. So far, so good after 30 yrs. To me the cultural focus is all about the money. If I had paid attention to that I'd be a miserable wretch with a large bank account, putting up with jerks all along for that pension or deal. No thanks. Look at the line-up of kooks who have a lot of coin and think they can run the country or anything else. Pathetic.

No, I'll take my chances and live the life I was born to live. If the money comes, great! If not, I'll still have the satisfaction of a life well lived. You can't replace that with money. You can't take the money with when you go, but you can take the friendships, the satisfaction and the meaning into the next life.

Epictitus was a Roman slave, remembered for centuries. His 'owner', no one remembers.

2012-10-23 03:35 PM

I'm a self-employed architect and I generally love it, except for the constant cloud of deadlines hanging over my head and the occasional presentation to BAR or ARB which generally aren't much fun. I do enjoy working with my clients on their residential projects, trying to "articulate their dreams" and maximize their bang for their buck.

2012-10-23 03:56 PM

Love my work, being creative as a graphic designer. It's what I studied in college and have been happy to work within my field for many years. Money hasn't been my priority, but I do okay (could definitely use more!)

2012-10-23 03:57 PM

I love that my husband has a job. I'm blessed by being able to work with animals and they ARE the best clients a person could ask for.

2012-10-23 04:30 PM

Technical support for the solar industry and doing it from home. Good pay, ocean view, and the phone is off at 5:00. May I have a beer now? Nope, its only 4:30.

2012-10-23 05:18 PM

I am a teacher and I do love my job! I hate all the "crap" that goes on outside of my classroom, but I love teaching.

2012-10-23 05:55 PM

I too love my job as a high school teacher. Sure, there are downsides: a) being totally underpaid for someone with 6 years of college and knowing I'll NEVER make more than $80K a year, b) being publicly pilloried by those who couldn't do my job for 5 minutes (sometimes on these very pages), and c) working a full 2000+ hour work-year in 10 months.

However, these are *far* outweighed by knowing that I am making a huge difference in kids' lives, sharing my love of science with them, leading them towards a full and productive life, and by them knowing with certainty they are cared for and loved by me. All these things energize me and I look forward to my job and my students daily!

2012-10-24 12:50 AM

Question put to me:

What do you do for a living?

I answer:

I work for my father.

2nd Question:

What does he do?

My answer:

He's unemployed.

2012-10-24 07:07 AM

I teach computers to kids 6 to 12. I work about 25 easy, low stress, rewarding hours a week, 30 weeks a year. I also help people with computer problems a few hours a month. I have great kids, parents, colleagues, administration.
I ride my bike to and from work. You decide if I love my job.

TOTCH agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-24 08:26 AM

Took a few years to reach the pjoint that I could retire. Am busy thinking of things I want to do.

2012-10-24 09:18 AM

I lost my job two years ago and since then I've cared for my mother who had a slight stroke and then dementia - which had been building unawares - came into evidence. I love caring for my mother while I can, I treasure each day.

2012-10-24 09:55 AM

I wish I loved my job. ---It's hard on my body (feet especially) and working with the public is challenging. I am a waitress and lots of people just tip poorly. I LIVE off my tips, so people please tip your watiers properly. 15- 20% for good service, 10% is an insult. WHY don't people realize this?

DRBUD agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-24 10:23 AM

As a veterinarian for 50 years I always felt myself the luckiest guy on the planet. Whether it was military service, farm practice, college instructor or my decades in pet practice there has never been anyone more happily employed than I was!

2012-10-24 12:33 PM

Professor at UCSB--love to teach, research, but not much the administrative stuff that goes along with it, tho important. Main downside: always WAY more to do than time to do it, but worth it.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-24 12:45 PM

064, I don't eat out unless I can also afford a 20% tip. I know waiters and waitresses need the tips as they make very little in hourly wages. Have never had "bad" service; sometimes if a place is especially busy it might take longer for a meal, not really anyones fault. Cheapskates, pony up!!

LUCKY 777 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-24 02:05 PM

I decided when I was young that I was just too darn ornery to work for anyone else, so I've been self-employed all my life. I have been tattooing for 30 years, an occupation I chose because I wanted to do art full time and interact with people. Fads may come and go, but being the "agent of completion" for other people's desires for body art is never boring and keeps me happy to go to work.

2012-10-25 06:30 AM

As a farmer, I love what I do, even if some days it is 24 hrs a day.
My grandfather would always tell me "farming is a lifestyle, not a lively hood" Boy was he right

31% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.