Sonoma Weather: 83.2°F | Humidity: 43% | Pressure: 29.89in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 4.0mph [forecast]

All Local News
- 08/01/14

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

COMMENT 541441 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 05:32 PM

Rats are not warm and fuzzy creatures. Rats carry disease and defecate and urinate all over every thing. You need to get rid of them as fast as possible and kill them for the well being of everybody, not just relocate them so someone else has to deal with them. The rat zapper is the most efficient and humane way of doing that. Unfortunately this is going to be a bad year for rats since they want water too. No cat can keep up with a bad infestation. I know. I got 5 in my kitchen one night with the zapper, and my cat got 1 !

COMMENT 541440P helpful negative off topic

Gray Water Use

2014-08-01 05:27 PM

didn't mean to post yet. thanks for a good question, OP.

COMMENT 541439P helpful negative off topic

Gray Water Use

2014-08-01 05:26 PM

thank you 340. that's what I thought, too busy to look it up.

read complete comment thread

YIN YANG helpful negative off topic

Gray Water Use

2014-08-01 04:08 PM

This is a good question! Tough too. Is Art Ludwig of Oasis still in town? Met him long ago, before he got started. What a guy!
Seems he's done, tried, researched just about everything. Check out the site. Art knows and lives his beliefs and his science, his stuff, is successful in the general, real world.

When on this site, use site search for "water for animals"

COMMENT 541392 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 01:54 PM

My mom's house had a rat problem. I was able to eradicate all of them (11 total) and I learned quite a bit about getting rid of rats. The house has been rat free over 2 years now.
1. I tried all humane methods first, none worked.
2. Do NOT use the rat zapper. If you are ever around when one gets zapped, it is not quick nor painless. It is a solid 30 seconds, some are left alive and there will be blood...
3. Buy the Tomcat brand rat traps. Easy to use, only had blood with one and you will not see the face. It happens quickly (I witnessed a few occur). Place these against walls where rats tend to run. Continue doing it until you have a week or two of no rats caught.

I will never forget the look on my mom's neighbor's face when he saw two younger women (I was 27, my sister was 18) walk out of the house with a rat trap in each of our hands with rat bodies dangling. He was doubled over laughing...

read complete comment thread

CORKY helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 12:58 PM

If you're not totally adverse to killing, I have found an electric trap easy to use. I don't like killing, but had them in my pantry once, and in some food n the garage, so I draw the line. If you live around any other humans, it doesn't seem fair to relocate them.

COMMENT 541365 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 12:25 PM

Most of what everyone is saying will not work
Peppermint oil, licorice plant, moth balls, ammonia,all those rat repellent techniques are BS. I have tried a few of them with no success. The only real way to get rid of rats is to find out where they are entering your home and seal it off. Mainly check the roof and garage walls. In my case I had to go in the attic and while I was in there I could see light coming through the roof. I sealed it all up then moved to the garage and sealed that up. No more rats. But once you do seal everything off you will have to trap the rats that are now sealed in.

COMMENT 541361 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 12:19 PM

soak peanuts in corn oil & caster oil overnight and leave them out for the rats. see ratcontroltips dot com

read complete comment thread

HAPPYME helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 12:15 PM

Very successful with wooden snap traps. Place an almond in the trap, can lightly coat with peanut butter or pet food, do not contaminate with human fingers or odors, place away from cats and dogs, wait a day, two, or three, and odds should be in your favor. I work for a local school district and they use the same method.

COMMENT 541354 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 12:02 PM

I've physically seen the rats above my bathroom and have trapped a few. Definitely not lizards or bats.

COMMENT 541350 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 11:31 AM

If you discourage rats, will they become underachievers?

read complete comment thread

KELINK helpful negative off topic

Gray Water Use

2014-08-01 11:30 AM

Past discussion:

COMMENT 541347P helpful negative off topic

Gray Water Use

2014-08-01 11:27 AM

I would appreciate a discussion of gray water! Has anyone set up a residential system for this lately? What's involved and how much does it cost to collect and reuse a home's gray water for landscape?

COMMENT 541340 helpful negative off topic

Gray Water Use

2014-08-01 11:02 AM

You can use potable water in a fountain as long as it recirculates the water. You can find that info on the the California gov website.

COMMENT 541333 helpful negative off topic

Gray Water Use

2014-08-01 10:36 AM

Just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

COMMENT 541332 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 10:35 AM

I've seen people mistake lizard droppings for rat's. You have any lizards up there?

SHARON93111 helpful negative off topic

Gray Water Use

2014-08-01 09:58 AM

About the only thing I can think of is detergents or and kind of cleaning products that aren't natural. Bless your heart!! Very few people remember our little night critters. There has been a rise of rats and mice in this area, this could be because there are fewer opossums & skunks this year.

COMMENT 541321 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 09:55 AM

CATS, of course. ASAP has "mousers" that will make super pets, too.

COMMENT 541322 helpful negative off topic

The ISS Returns!

2014-08-01 09:55 AM

Ditto - appreciate the info. Happy gazing.

COMMENT 541304 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 08:47 AM

Op, here. I very much appreciate all of the suggestions. I will be picking up some Dr. Bronner's peppermint and giving that recipe a try. Feeding my cat less would cause more trauma than it would be worth, I fear. If it works, I will try to do a follow-up; it may take some time. Cheers all, you are so kind.

SB & TAHOE helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 08:30 AM

In general, female cats are better hunters, and plain-old short-haired every-day cats. IN GENERAL. I am sure that in the history of cats there have been several satin pillow types that have also been prolific hunters. But if you're getting a cat purely for rodent eradication, short haired female is the way to go.

COMMENT 541296 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 08:26 AM

Same problem here, turned out to be "Bat Poop", not mouse poop!! Weird location, didn't make since thought they were attracted to and eating sisal door mat???--look up at night, but be careful, keep mouth closed, of what might fall.

COMMENT 541295 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 08:26 AM

I have rats that pee and poop above my bathroom. I have a tongue and groove wood ceiling and sometimes it smells like a truck stop bathroom because of the rat urine (not mine, I keep the bathroom clean). There is no food source up there, so I don't know what their deal is besides safe refuge. I cut away part of my siding to look in and there are rat turds everywhere. I think I'll try a rat zapper or moth balls. They've gotten out of sticky traps and eaten the food out of snap traps. Usually the ones I catch are the younger naive ones. I hate using the traps but I hate the disgusting smell and urine soaked ceiling even more.

COMMENT 541286 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 07:59 AM

Second (or third) the RatZapper. These REALLY work(unlike the Seen-on-TV crap) Only downside is cleaning them after a dozen kills..Use disposible gloves/liquid cleaner without too much fragrance/do it outside. Its worth the effort however.

COMMENT 541283P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 07:53 AM

We got a large funnel, trimmed off bottom, sliced cone to fit around wires leading to second floor. Then we duct taped the funnel and, voila, the rats couldn't get up those wires to the attic.
Same idea as you might see on the lines of an old sailing ship.

COMMENT 541278 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 07:31 AM

A lot of Edhatters have a soft spot for rodents. If they ever spent time in a hospital in a developing country and interacted with folks suffering with rat borne illnesses, many of them would be ready to deploy the Warfarin!

The big difference here is that we have the money to avoid dense living and we can afford good proactive pest control so people and wild rodents interact less and the rodents are less likely to carry infection.

Myself? I kinda like the idea of a young kitty out to prove themselves. This is what we did when we lived in the tropics and within a week, no more rodents in the kitchen, within two months, no more rodents in any of the neighbors' kitchens. Good kitty!

COMMENT 541277 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 07:31 AM

Metal bands on climbing structures. Home Depot, back left of store. Nails and hammer on the tree.

COMMENT 541275 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 07:20 AM

Ditto the Rat Zapper, just don't get it wet!

read complete comment thread

PETER helpful negative off topic

2014-08-01 07:03 AM

I endorse 541184, The Rat Man with eRATicators is a great humane service.

read complete comment thread

38% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.